Saturday, August 17, 2019

RECENT READING LIFE

So this past month has been a little crazy for me, but I'm back, beautiful people in full force. A little bit about my recent reading life and habits; generally, I'm reading more than one book at a time because I really love diversity in my reading life. Throughout one day I may want to dig into a thick historical biography, lighten it up with a romance, and finish off being taken to a completely different world with a fantasy or science fiction book. Unfortunately, I'm not able to read with this kind of variety as often as I would like. Despite this, I still always need a few different options, even I can't predict what I'm going to feel like reading in a given day.

Last Book I Finished:   

The Shadow Queen By: C.J. Redwine        
     I absolutely adored this book, fairytale retellings are definitely a favorite of mine and it always excites me when I find awesome new ones! Shout out to my younger sister who recommended this book, and the Ravenspire series as a whole. This is a Snow White retelling and stars Lorelei, who has been forced to flee her country with her brother due to her stepmother, and is planning her attempt to overthrow the queen. Lorelei is an awesome female heroine who knows what she wants and what her kingdom needs, and she has the courage to go after it. I had so much fun following her through this story, and I loved the ways that Redwine was able to keep me guessing throughout this book, even though the source material is very familiar to me. I also really appreciated the structure of the book, as it is told from multiple characters points of view, which is a literary tool I almost always enjoy.
Image result for the shadow queen

Currently Reading:

1. The Regional Office is Under Attack By: Manuel Gonzales 
     I checked this book out at the library, and I was ready to go buy it for my bookshelf fifty pages in. This book is a romp of a read about the almighty Regional Office, which caters to the strange and eccentric requests of the uber rich in this world. This unique story revolves around an attack of the Regional Office, and is told from different character views, as well as a shifting timeline, giving you a full picture of how the events manifested. I'm about three quarters of the way through this one, and I still don't know the right words to describe it, forgive my attempts to try. This book has assassins, half-cyborgs, mercenaries, people preforming 'magicks'; and that's just the start of all the fun. This book is hilarious, the author injects humor into almost every page of this book, and that is no easy feat. This fast-paced, genre-bending novel is one of my favorite books I've read this year, and I haven't even finished it yet.
Image result for the regional office is under attack

2. The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival By: John Vaillant
      I'm a little less than halfway through this one, and it is incredible, made more incredible by the fact that it's a true story. Basically this book is about a serial killer Amur tiger with a vendetta against a village in Russia in the 1990s. That sentence alone should have at least piqued your interest. This tiger wasn't just killing these people for food, it played with its victims making sport of the kill. I have loved tigers since I was in Kindergarden, I used to check out every nonfiction book about tigers I could understand from our school library. Even though this is a terrifying story about a tiger, I'm more amazed by tigers than ever before.
Image result for the tiger by john vaillant

3. Murder on the Rocks By: Allyson K. Abbott
       I'm about 100 pages into this 325 page cozy mystery I picked up at my local library. This is the first in a series staring Mackenzie "Mack" Daniels. Mack has been running her father's bar since he died, and one morning she finds a dead body in the alley behind her bar. That body is revealed to be the woman who was her fathers girlfriend when he died. The evidence starts pointing in the direction of Mack, so she's determined to solve this murder to clear her name and find out the truth about her father. An added bonus for romance fans, definitely some fun sexual tension happening with one of the detectives on the case.
Image result for murder on the rocks

Picking Up Next:

The Wish Granter By: C.J. Redwine
      This is the second book in the Ravenspire series and is a retelling of Rumplestilskin. I cannot wait to dive into more of this series!
Image result for the wish granter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme Post: Cozy Mysteries

In the past year or so, I've discovered the awesomeness of cozy mysteries. Everybody has a slightly different definition of what qualif...